Sunday, September 28, 2008

Breakfast Scramble, kicked up a notch

From Jenny Craig Gourmet

With all my JC food, I try to limit my use of the microwave. I use it to defrost some of the food items or if I'm at work, to heat up my lunches. Otherwise, I find the microwave, especially mine, overcooks things or leaves things a little to soggy for my taste (for example the French Toast - I put mine in the toaster!). When I come home from work I pull out my dinner and leave it on the counter for a couple of hours to defrost, that way I can just throw it in the pan with whatever veggies I'm making for that night and have a big one dish meal.

My breakfast today consisted of:
Breakfast Scramble
1 Fruit
1 cup nonfat Milk

I decided to volumize the scramble a bit by adding one portobellini mushroom, cut into bite size pieces. Have you tried these yet? Size wise they are in between the size of a crimini and a portobello. Perfect for portioning out!

What I'm sharing here isn't really a recipe, but more of a method. I defrosted the scramble in the microwave for 2 minutes on 30% power. Then I heated up a nonstick skillet and added the scramble and some PAM to coat. I covered the pan and let it sit for about 5 minutes on Medium to heat everything through. Then I removed the cover and added the mushrooms, 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning, a pinch of red pepper flakes and few dashes of Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce. Stir everything together well and let the mushrooms cook for about 2-3 minutes. Pour the mixture onto a plate and enjoy!

From Jenny Craig Gourmet

Admittedly, this isn't the most colorful of dishes. Next time I'd probably add some chopped red pepper and some chopped basil as a garnish to make it more visually appealing.

I serve most of my JC food on my salad plates. Its more of an appropriate portion size for me and I like to see a full plate of food!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had the Breakfast Scramble this morning, too! I just added some Tony Sachere's (a seasoning salt), and put my potatoes on a separate plate and ate them with ketchup (I pretend they are mini french fries-one of my favorite foods). Not nearly as gourmet as your version, but I thought you might be interested in hearing how someone else customizes their meals :).

Chrissy said...

Yes Liz I'm always interested to hear how others customize their meals. The more ideas the better is my opinion! I like your idea of separating the potatoes. In the pan they can get really crisped up and be a lot like home fries. Yum! Thanks for stopping by! :)