Saturday, October 4, 2008

Peperonata

From Jenny Craig Gourmet


I found a beautiful recipe for peperonata in the Williams Sonoma catalog. It looked so good but it called for 1/4 Cup of olive oil so I decided to modify the recipe to serve alongside my Jenny Craig meals. Well it turned out so good that I eat this several times a week and I've even topped my chicken sandwich with it. It is delicious! So good, even my husband takes a plateful when I make it.

Peperonata:
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced thinly
1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
2 peppers (I like to use red and orange), remove the seeds and ribs and slice into thin strips
3 roma tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
1 tsp capers, optional
2-3 T red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
1 T basil, cut into strips
PAM

Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and spray with PAM. Add the onions and saute until they start to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute and additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the peppers, tomatoes, capers, red wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low and simmmer about 30 minutes. Garnish with basil and serve.

This tastes so good you would not believe there isn't any oil in it. The flavors really pop and I could eat this by the bowlful!


4 comments:

Kim said...

Hi! You posted to my "free veggies" thread on the JC boards about carrot fries. I made them friday night and tonight and they are delicious. I also made the peperonata tonight which was good. AND I bulked up my breakfast scramble yesterday with mushrooms and zucchini! Thanks for all your ideas - this is a GREAT blog. I plan on being a regular reader :) Kim

Chrissy said...

Hi Kim! I am so glad you enjoyed the carrot fries and are trying new things with the JC food. It certainly helps to keep things interesting doesn't it?

Unknown said...

That's great that you are able to have fun with your Jenny Craig menu! Have you ever visited the JC forums? They have threads that talk about food and I'm sure the community would love to hear of and try your creations!
www.jennycraig.com/community/

Chrissy said...

Hi Mary, thanks for stopping by! I am a member of the JC forums and post there often. I also posted about my blog on the forums so it is out there and attached to my signature to all posts. Thanks!